Finally got myself back into the gym again. It’s been a solid 3+ weeks since I last lifted. Decided to drop the 5/3/1 and go on a strength training program devoted to increasing my bench. Pretty much another variation of 5×5 or even 5/3/1. Program is periodized for 6-week long minimum. Volume decreases over duration of program and resistance increases. Program is as follows and can also be found at the following link:
Weeks 1-2 – Rep Work. You will try to perform 5 sets x 8 reps on the bench press, increasing intensity (weight) during the second week.
- Week 1 – 60% of your one rep max. 5 sets of as many reps as possible, but no greater than 8 reps per set.
- Week 2 – 65% of your one rep max. 5 sets of as many reps as possible, but no greater than 8 reps per set.
Weeks 3-4 – Transition period. You will move to a 5×5 with heavier weights.
- Week 3 – 70% of your one rep max. 5 sets of as many reps as possible, but no greater than 5 reps per set.
- Week 4 – 75% of your one rep max. 5 sets of as many reps as possible, but no greater than 5 reps per set.
Weeks 5 to completion – You will begin the 5×3 portion of this program, and begin “auto-regulation.”
- Week 5 – 80% of your one rep max. 5 sets of 3 reps.
The preview of each week looks something like the following:
|Heavy Bench Press Day|
|Bench Press||5||* As Noted|
|Dumbbell Bench Press||3||10|
|Seated Dumbbell Press||3||10|
|Lower, Squat Focus|
|Stiff Leg Deadlift||3||8-10|
|Seated Calf Raise||3||15|
|Ab Wheel Rollouts||3||10|
|Moderate Bench Press Day|
|Close Grip Bench Press||5||5|
|Incline Bench Press||3||8|
|Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension||3||10|
|Lower, Deadlift Focus|
|Standing Calf Raise||3||15|
|Weighted Decline Sit Ups||3||15-20|